When it comes to SubD surfaces you can Create SubD surfaces from scratch or turn regular surfaces into SubD surfaces.
Create SubD surfaces
- Select the purple Tools menu button
- Select Surface from the Tools menu
- Move the toggle button to the Subdivision surface option
- Create a surface by squeezing the front triggers on both controllers and moving them in space
Turn regular surfaces into SubD
- Create a surface or grab an existing surface and put it into Edit mode.
- Select the box icon in the edit menu.
- The entire surface is now turned into SubD.